Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Web-based teaching and learning tools

For me, the biggest draw to web-based tools is that they are interactive. Students (and teachers) like to be stimulated when they're learning and it also makes the time go much faster. I find that the periods in the school day fly by when everyone is actively engaged. I learned a great deal about webquests this week already because I am the facilitator for my group's discussion. Although I have never created a webquest, the format seems similar to the lessons that we created in Dr. Small's class. I remember having fun with that, but also remember the huge amount of time put into the lesson. I was wondering if people get paid to just produce webquests for schools, or is it just a voluntary thing done by professionals who want to enhance learning? I've also utilized sites on the web to produce rubrics and worksheets-so I feel a little more connected to this topic than some of the others we've explored! How about you guys, have you created webquests?

**Beatrice**

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Beatrice-

I too saw some similarities between Webquests and buILders - but the latter in my opinion was more time consuming to make.

I think that webquests allow for more visual creativity. If I remember correctly, adding graphics etc. was a bit trickier when using a buILder.

Time is an issue when creating either...but both can be found online and easily adapted for your classroom/library needs.

-Kate

thealouise said...

Hey ladies,

I haven't personally created any webquests, but would like to. My students always want to be on the computer, but I feel they lack many of the skills necessary to really take advantage of the information on the web. I think providing them structure and actual links through a webquest is exactly the kind of support they need. I liked the buILder tool, but agree that the whole process was very time-consuming. Kate, I know you blogged on Filamentality as a webquest tool. Do either of you know any other sites that might make the process of creation easier and time-efficient?

BeaL said...

Hi Thea-
I just created my very first webquest. It was a great experience-but extremely time-consuming. How do teachers have the time to do this?

**Beatrice**